Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mexican Chorizo - Chorizo Norteño

If there is one thing I learned from my father when grocery shopping, is always read the ingredients of the chorizo before you buy.  Most chorizo's will have pork glands and very nasty and gross parts of the pig that you should not be eating.  Just because it has vinegar to mask any smell, it does not mean you should be eating any pork-by products.  There is only one brand in Texas that I know of that has only meat and that is the San Manuel Chorizo.  Look them up, they are very good and clean, my Dad new the owner and visited the plant.  He was very impressed. 

My mother used to make chorizo now and then.  She was into cutting fat from our diets before it was popular.  I found her recipe for chorizo and I feel like I need to share with all of my 4 followers! LOL!
To begin preparing chorizo, place all the ingredients in a large bowl:

1.5-lb Ground pork
1.5-lb Ground beef
4-tsp Salt
8-Tbsp Ground chile ancho*
4-Cloves minced garlic
½ tsp Ground garlic powder
2-Dry leaf oregano
2-tsp Ground cumin
1-cup Apple cider vinegar-good quality
1-tsp freshly ground black pepper
1-tsp Ground Thyme

*If you prefer for your chorizo to be more of a bright red color, you can prepare the chile ancho yourself by soaking the 8 chile ancho in hot water.  When the skin is soft, peel as much of the outer skin as you can and discard along with the stem and seeds.  Mix in the blender with half a cup of your apple cider vinegar.  Do this when you cannot find the ground chile ancho.  Remember that the quantities are the same, you are only preparing the chile in a different manner. 

Mix all ingredients until well blended.   Cover and place in the refrigerator.  Let it sit for 2-3 days so that the flavors penetrate the meat.  You may use all pork instead of the beef/pork mixture.  My mother was always into cutting fat way before it became popular.   After you have let the chorizo flavors meld together, you can begin to cook with it.  I recommend that you take 3-4 oz, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in a freezer bag.  These packages will last months in the freezer and each packet is a good serving size for two people.   You may also feel free to stuff in a casing.  I chose not to do so as I do not smoke or grill Mexican chorizo.   I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment