Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Elote En Vaso - Corn In a Cup Street Food

I remember when I was a little girl, my mom did not let us eat corn on the cob from street vendors in Mexico.  She said that the pots that they used to boil the corn were also used to wash their underwear! I know that is absolutely hilarious, but I think it was her way of making us grossed out and not be tempted to eat them.  It worked until I was a teenager and I felt like I could rebel against the conspiracy!  I ate it for my first time and I could not believe that my mother had kept me from such deliciousness! 


The preparation of corn depends on the part of Mexico you find yourself in.  If you visit Mexico City and southern states, they mainly sell the corn on the cob and add the condiments to the customer’s taste.  In the northern cities like Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo (where I am from), you have the option of corn on the cob or a cup.  I prefer to use the cup because you get to eat all the delicious juices of the corn and all the ingredients. 

When I moved to Chicago, it killed me that I could not find a place I could buy a corn in the cup.  I thought, “How could this be in such a Mexican neighborhood like Pilsen”?  One day I wanted one so badly I googled and searched for a recipe.  Not all the recipes I found matched the ingredients I knew it had.  I remember my cousin Ascelina had a snack store and she used to sell corn in a cup.  I called her and I coerced her to give me the recipe.  In reality, I knew the ingredients I just did not know what kind of chile sauce was used.  So here it is, adjust as necessary:

1-Cup corn (I use frozen when I want it fast)
1-TBSP Mayo
1-TBSP Butter
1-TBSP Crema Mexicana
Crumbled Queso Fresco to your liking, I happen to like a lot (all water has no fat, yeah!)
Salt to taste

For the chile sauce:
Mix 1-TBSP chile piquin powder with three limes and a splash of water to make it liquid.  Taste and add more water or lime as you desire.

Heat the corn in the microwave. Drain any excess liquid before mixing the ingredients in.  Add all ingredients and mix.  Add your piquin sauce little at a time, stir and taste.  When I say a little, I mean a drop at a time, this is hot, but ohh so good!  The suggestion above can serve probably two, but I actually eat it all as my lunch! 

Note: if you cannot find the powdered chile piquin, you can use the cascabel powder.  The authentic way is to use Piquin.  If you do not want the pepper hot sauce, just add the lime to the corn and skip it.  It will taste fantastic too!


13 comments:

  1. OMG! Thank you! I'm from Laredo and I moved to Colorado and they don't have corn in a cup here! Thank you so much! I tried to use it but I used regular chili powder with lime and it didn't taste the same. I have been craving Mr. Corn! Yum! I can't wait to try it! When I read that you were from Nuevo Laredo, I knew it would be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try it with the chile piquin powder and lime it is exactly the same i promise. I can send you some if you want me too it is super cheap. Chili powder has a totally different taste.

      Delete
    2. You're crazy, I lived in Colorado and my kids learned of this before I did! There was a corn man who would come around and my kids would get so excited like it was an ice cream man! I didn't know what I was missing til recently we moved back to Texas and one of my co-workers introduced me to elotes and yuuhh-umm!

      Delete
    3. You're crazy, I lived in Colorado and my kids learned of this before I did! There was a corn man who would come around and my kids would get so excited like it was an ice cream man! I didn't know what I was missing til recently we moved back to Texas and one of my co-workers introduced me to elotes and yuuhh-umm!

      Delete
  2. I'm from Chicago and on the southside you can always find someone peddling some tasty elotes on a cart. The mangos too! In the Pilsen neighborhood, I didn't see it much either and was shocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too, and more shocked that there are really no authentic mexican restaurants they are all more of a tex mex than real mexican.

      Delete
  3. I'm in Oklahoma and we have places for corn in a cup and on the cob but sometimes I just don't want to go out to get it. I've used chili powder but it doesn't taste the same! Thank you so much!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I tried chili powder and it just did not do!!!! I am sure you can find the powder piquin if you can't i will send you some! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness!! i have been trying to figure out what chile they used. my aunt who is in monterrey had told me chile de arbol but the color was just too dark and i knew once i tried it that it was not the same, i cannot wait to try this, of course chile piquin has that perfect bright red color that i remember! thanks! -clara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does it taste better with chili piquin? I've been wanting to make it but never knew how. I just hope it's as good as the corn man's lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it does taste better with chile piquin. I have tried other powder chiles and they just not taste good for this elote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So how many ears of corn will it take for about 25 people. I am having a dinner party and cant wait to try this

    ReplyDelete