Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Coctél de Camarón - Shrimp Cocktail

If someone were to ask me “What is your favorite memory with your Dad as an adult”?  I would definitely say lazy Saturdays eating a shrimp cocktail and chatting about everything and everyone.  My sister Mariela and my brother-in-law Sami would come over with their two girls Raneem and Haneen and we would all just hang out, eat the cocktail and wait for the carne asada to begin.  I can also say this is a street food in Mexico, but I have never ever had the courage to eat it on the street.  Too scared to get sick!

I have to add here a funny story.  My parents, my two sisters Lorena, Mariela, and I were in Vegas and it must have been 1997 or so.  We were having lunch at the usual place where we stayed at the Treasure Island.  We were looking over the menu and I read shrimp cocktail.  I turned around and asked Mariela if she wanted to share it with me as an appetizer and of course, she said yes.  When the cocktail came, we were in shock because it was a plate with steamed shrimp and a red sauce on the side!!!!  I could not believe my eyes and my Dad said, what did you expect the Mexican kind?  I said is there any other kind?  Hahahaha! Yes, save yourself the comment, very ignorant of me!


Here is the recipe for the “Coctél de Camarón”.  Remember, you can choose to adjust as you find it better tasting for you!

1-Pound of cooked and deveined shrimp with tails and shells off
½-Chopped onion
2-Celery stalks
1-Avocado cut into small cubes
1-Serrano pepper finely chopped (you may remove the seeds)
10-Sprigs of cilantro
1-Cup of ketchup
Juice of 3-4 limes
Splash of Tabasco sauce to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Whole lot of saltine crackers

Remove the tails and shells from the shrimp.  Cut each shrimp in half or in thirds if they are too big and place in a large glass bowl.   Add the onion, celery, Serrano, cilantro and avocado.  Mix with the ketchup and add limejuice one at a time to taste.  Remember that in cooking the key to making something delicious is to taste, taste, taste!  Salt and pepper and taste again.  Serve with saltine crackers and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment