Monday, January 30, 2012

Tortilla Soup - Sopa de Tortilla

Times have certainly changed.  The way we interact with one another on a daily basis has certainly changed from our parent’s time.  This revolution in technology has enriched my life in many ways.  I have connected with so many friends I thought I would never hear from again.  Due to this advancement, I have made friends from all over the world.  People that I do not think I would ever have the opportunity of meeting, much less becoming friends. 

I have become friends with some people on twitter because we share the same addiction to watching the Real Housewives franchise on Bravo TV.  DO not judge, everyone has their own escape, and mine happens to be this ridiculously scripted show.  I signed on to twitter because two of the New Jersey housewives were feuding so I started to follow.   Before I knew it, I had become part of the followers.  I chimed in with my opinion occasionally, but mainly kept to myself.  Some of the fans are so vicious they attack anyone that says something about their beloved housewife.   This is how a met a very sweet girl from Mexico living in California with her husband.  I did not know her name except for her twitter name, Pat_ybirivi.  We became friends because we would get a kick out of the hard-core fans and their fits of raging insults on to whoever would dare say something not adoring about their favorite housewife.  One day Pat asked if anyone had a recipe for Chiles en Nogada and I chimed in and said, “I do, go to my blog and it should be my second entry. 

Last night she asked me for the recipe for the sopa de tortilla and I decided to get down to writing it.  Therefore, my dear twitter sister, here is the recipe you were looking for.  Remember that every recipe you make your own so feel free to tweak it.

Ingredients
4-Tomatoes
1-Onion
2-Garlic cloves
1-Pasilla chile seeds removed and cut in rings
1-TBSP of Canola, (any cooking oil will do)
1-Quart of chicken stock
½-Corn tortilla in strips
2-Epazote leaves (if you have it, if you don't its ok)

For Garnish
4-Corn tortillas cut in strips pan fried until crispy ( you may want to use more tortillas)
Panela cheese cut in cubes about ¼ cup per bowl
1-Pasilla chile cut in rings and fried with little oil until soft
Avocado cut into cubes
Some people like to added shredded Oaxaca cheese, so feel free to add it as a garnish

Tortilla Soup is traditionally made without chicken.  Only the stock is used.  I like to add the shredded chicken from the stock that I make.  I like to make it into a meal and not just an appetizer.  If you want to make your stock cook two breasts with about 2 quarts of water, add two celery stalks, half an onion, Serrano pepper, salt to taste, and a handful of cilantro cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through.  Remove the chicken breasts, shred and set aside.  Pass the stock through a sieve to remove all the stems from the cilantro and the celery.  This will be the chicken stock used for your soup.

In a stockpot, add the canola, corn or vegetable oil.  Once the oil is heated, add the onion, the garlic and the pasilla chile rings.  Once the onion is translucent, add the chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are tender.  Add the chicken stock and if you have epazote, add the two leaves.  Let it simmer for about three to five minutes so that the flavors combine.  Add the 4 tortillas shredded with your hands and lower the heat.  Let the tortillas soften for about three minutes.  Remove the epazote leaves and blend with a hand blender or in a blender.  Be careful as the liquid is hot, if you do not have a hand blender, I recommend you get one, it is essential in my kitchen, especially for making the refried beans J. 

Return to the stock pot, add the chicken and let it simmer on low for another three minutes.  You are now ready to plate in a bowl.  I like to place the garnishes in separate bowls in the middle of your table so that everyone may add the quantities they like.    In different bowls place the fried tortilla strips, shredded Oaxaca cheese, panela cubes, avocado cubes, and the fried rings of the chile pasilla.

A low calorie tip is to place the tortilla strips in the oven until they are crispy!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment