Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sopa de Lentejas - Lentils Soup

As promised, here is the recipe for Sopa de Lentejas, lentil soup.  This is how I learned to make it from my Mom, MariaElena, which she probably learned from her mother Chawis.  There may be variations of it, but what I am sharing is the way I make it. 
1/2 bag of dried lentils
1 onion
3-4 tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 serrano pepper
bunch cilantro
3 slices of bacon
Salt to taste
I use a pressure cooker because the lentils will be done in about 30 minutes.  Make sure the lentils are clean, I rinse them under running water in a sieve and make sure there are no rocks or debris.  Chop the bacon and render it on medium heat.  Once the bacon is crispy, you can to drain the bacon grease before you continue.  I always leave about a tablespoon and a half.  Chop the half the onion and the garlic and add to the bacon.  In a blender add the other half of the onion, garlic clove, tomatoes, serrano pepper and bunch cilantro.  You can always add water to help with the blending.  Add the contents in the blender to your pressure cooker or pot.  Stir for about 3 minutes, just so it cooks a little.  Now add the rinsed lentils and a quart and a half of water.  The amount of water needed is to make sure it doubles the amount of the lentils.  Now you are ready to salt.  Add salt then taste, and add more if needed.  In a pressure cooker it will take about 30 minutes once the pressure builds.  In a regular pot,  it may take about an hour and a half. 
If you are using a pressure cooker, once the cooking is over, run the pot under cold water in your sink.  DO NOT open until the pressure and steam has escaped.  Open and taste, if the lentils are still tough, close the pot and cook for another 15-20 minutes. 
What makes these lentils Mexican is because we add the typical salsa to it which is the tomato, onion, garlic, serrano and cilantro.  I serve it with cubed chihuahua cheese for myself.  My Dad and my husband Scot prefer it with parmesean or cotija cheese.  This soup freezes wonderfully.  I put in the freezer in individual servings and take to work.  I do the same with all the soups I make and my husband and I always have homecooking for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment